Who we are
LAMIR is a Research Institute linked to the Earth Sciences Sector, Federal University of Paraná, based at the Polytechnic Center – UFPR, Curitiba – PR. Its activities began in the mid-1990s, as a Laboratory for Analysis of Minerals and Rocks, linked to the Department of Geology. After a continuous expansion of its research activities in Geosciences and related areas, accompanied by technological development, in 2019 LAMIR had its institutional link redefined as a Research Institute, maintaining the acronym in its name, preserving its history and identity.
Instituto LAMIR has a physical and administrative structure, its own technical staff, with the participation of professors and technicians from other departments and sectors of UFPR. Teachers, researchers, administrative and laboratory technicians, graduate students and undergraduate students are members of the LAMIR Institute
The execution of the actions of the LAMIR Institute provides for a partnership with a private non-profit institution (third sector), committed to the realization of collective interests, with the purpose of supporting educational, research, extension, scientific and technological development projects, with incentive to innovation.
LAMIR develops and integrates different analytical techniques in the field of geochemistry, acting as an interdisciplinary Institute focused on the development of research projects, with the application of the knowledge generated to society.
The LAMIR Institute’s mission is to support activities developed in UFPR’s undergraduate and graduate programs, offering a high-tech analytical park and a technical group of excellence for the academic community.
Principles of the LAMIR Institute
I. Promotion and valorization of geosciences in the academic community and in the broad sphere of society;
II. Search for excellence in laboratory procedures, with investments in infrastructure, training and improvement of the technical staff;
III. Continuous development of the environment and safety at work;
IV. Formation of human resources and valorization of UFPR’s performance in society.
The LAMIR Institute has the main purpose of contributing to teaching, scientific and technological research activities, services to public and private institutions and bodies, in the areas of exploratory and environmental geology.
The specific objectives of the LAMIR Institute are:
- Constitution of a center of excellence in analysis of minerals and rocks, with emphasis on the study of carbonate systems;
- Conducting research and development projects, scientific and technological innovation in the areas of exploratory geology, energy resources and the environment;
- Development and promotion of interdisciplinary projects in graduate programs in different sectors of UFPR;
- Performance in the area of forensic sciences, offering an analytical center capable of carrying out geochemical analyzes in transdisciplinary projects;
- Incentive and promotion of Scientific Initiation, Master and Doctorate projects within the scope of UFPR;
- Provision of services in case studies and projects of free demand from society, promoting the interaction of UFPR with companies, public agencies and different teaching and research institutions.